Friday, June 18, 2004

TotalView

Yesterday I was trying to debug a very tricky crash. Not just that it appeared very rarely, it was also crashing gdb when I was trying to debug it. I wanted to use Valgrind, but it was crashing as well. Frustrated, I entered "linux debugger" to google, and I found TotalView. I downloaded their trial version and I must admit I am amazed! Not just that it did not crash, but it also has very well-arranged and usable GUI (from my point of view); probably the best from the debuggers on Linux I have ever tested. I'll see what the rest of the trial period will show...

And the point? I did not find the reason of the crash, because when I got a usable backtrace and recompiled the affected part with debug info, the crash did not appear any more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment